The present club owes its origins to the Ossett Mechanics Institute Club which can be traced back to 1858. This team played on a ground in Southdale Road and in 1865 and 1866 arranged for an All England X1 to play a Twenty-Two from Ossett and District. Ossett won the first match but capitulated in the second when they were dismissed in their second innings for 37.
Following a short lapse, a new club, Ossett Perseverance, was formed in 1874 from the ashes of the old Mechanics Institute and for several years played on the same ground. After two or three years the name was changed to Ossett Cricket and Athletic Club and in 1881 they moved to the present ground at Queens Terrace, overlooking the Calder Valley.
In 1884, Ossett won the second Heavy Woollen Cup competition in a final at Chickenley. Under skipper A Smith they posted a total of 221 which proved to be 56 runs too many for their opponents Dewsbury & Saville.
A news cutting at the time recorded that Ossett were a good all round side, thoroughly deserving of their victory with a special mention given to their fielding, especially Glover.
This was an early indication in their history that they were going to be a major power within the umbrella of the Yorkshire Council.
For more information please visit their website here.